Purchasing a car

Purchasing a car

5 Necessary Criteria

1. High Safety Rating- I need to have a vehicle that is safe to not only operates, but also offers excellent safety ratings. In the instance of getting involved in a traffic accident, I want to have the best safety rating I can have for my vehicle. Everyone places a high value on his or her own life and I believe that having a high vehicle safety rating is a must!
  2. All Wheel Drive/4 Wheel Drive- This is a must when living within Alaska. The road conditions can become dangerous, especially during the winter with extreme colds and heavy snowfall. Having a vehicle that can be able to drive in snow and have icy roads is imperative if you want to get to your destination safely.
  3. Minimum of four seats- I often car pool with my friends to work and need to have space to accommodate them.
  4. Reliability- Having a reliable car in Fairbanks is a must, especially during the cold winter months. The extreme arctic temperatures can be brutal on vehicles and the need to have a vehicle that can reliably operate in extreme temperatures is a must for me. I have had a vehicle in the past that wasn’t rated to handle the Fairbanks winters and of course lasted a month before dying on me during my first winter up here.
  5. Must meet my budget- I cannot purchase a vehicle unless it falls within my desired budget of $7,000. Having a clearly defined budget for a new vehicle is imperative in order to ensure that my overall budget is never exceeded with car payments.

5 Desirable Criteria

1. Snow tires/Studded Tires- This of course would be nice to have for any vehicle when living in Alaska. Of course this is not exactly a must have, but certainly convenient if they are already on the vehicle being purchased. Having good traction on the icy/snowy roads in Fairbanks is always a plus.
  2. Auto Start- Having the convenience of an auto start is nice, especially during the winter months. Not having to walk out into the frigid cold and start my vehicle up in the morning is always a nice feeling to have.
  3. Large Storage/Trunk Space- I like having the option of having space to store my gear for work as well as baggage. I like to take trips around the state and find that having adequate storage for not only my personal items, but also for additional luggage would be nice to have.
  4. Sound System- I am a big fan of after market sound systems, I like to listen to my music with a quality sound system that can produce clear sounds and offer improved levels of bass.
  5. After Market Lighting- During the winter months, the amount of sunlight offered in Fairbanks rapidly diminishes. Having the option to purchase a vehicle that already has additional lighting is always a nice feeling and offers additional safety on the roadway.

Leave a Reply